Get to know your sewing machine
If you want to start at the very beginning this is the place for you – our ‘get to know your sewing machine’ workshop. You’ll be taught everything you need to learn to sew.
Our endlessly popular five-hour beginners’ course is perfect if:
– you’ve never used a sewing machine before
– your sewing machine gathers dust because it seems like too much of a headache to set it up
– you use your machine, but always with a nagging feeling that you don’t really know what you’re doing
– you’d like to take one of the many courses that require you to be competent with a sewing machine.
What will we cover?
This is the ultimate beginners’ sewing machine course. Learning to use a sewing machine properly will free you up to enjoy all sorts of projects, from cushions to clothes. You’ll be able to work confidently and efficiently, getting results you’re proud of.
Our beginners’ sewing machine course covers:
- the parts of the sewing machine
- threading a machine and winding a bobbin
- stitch selection
- starting to sew
- setting tension
- seam allowances
- presser feet – when to use them and how to change them
- basic sewing machine maintenance
- creating and using a simple pattern
- making a cushion.
Book your space, enjoy being shown all the essentials and get sewing!
How will I be taught?
You’ll be taught in our lovely studio by a friendly and experienced tutor, through demonstration and guidance as you work.
You’ll also be able to ask questions, making sure everything is clear and that you’re getting the best results you can.
Do I need any previous experience or skills?
This course is for complete beginners.
Are materials provided? Is there anything I need to source myself?
You need to bring:
- half a metre of fabric, at least 140cm wide, for the cushion cover
- 1 or 2 buttons no bigger than 2.5cm (1 inch) diameter
- 40cm cushion pad (please avoid bringing a different size cushion pad as the class is prepared for 40cm)
- a reel of thread that matches your fabric. (If you’re not worried about it matching perfectly you’re welcome to choose from the threads available in the studio.)
If you bring your own machine, please ensure you have your foot pedal and accessories with you.
What will I take home with me?
The cushion you’ve made, an instruction sheet so you can make another at home and a new-found enthusiasm for sewing.
Drinks and biscuits will be available but we recommend that you bring a packed lunch with you.
During all of our workshops photographs are taken for promotional purposes only. Please make us aware at the time of booking if you would prefer not to be included.