Hire our quilting frame and machine
‘Queenie’ our quilting frame and our Juki quilting machine are all set up and waiting for you.
3 hour hire £60 inc tuition and support
No more basting the layers together, no more squeezing it through the small throat of your home machine and no more wrestling to move it all in the right direction. Your quilt can be loaded onto our frame and ready to go in minutes and using our nifty grips, controlling the machine has never been easier. This is your opportunity to make your quilt your own. See the video below for a full tour of how it works.
When you arrive for your session we will help you load your quilt to make sure you are correctly set up. Once you have chosen your thread colour we will help you wind your bobbins and thread the machine. If it is your first visit we will also help you practice some freemotion quilting styles before starting on your quilt.
If you have not been before you may choose to bring along a practice cloth to this first session and just get use to the frame and machine or you may choose to bring along a quilt top.
Preparing for your session
In preparation for your session you MUST do the following to your quilt;
- Add sashing strips to each side of your quilt, which will be removed afterwards, a min of 2.5″ wide. This is for testing the machine and to allow you to run your quilt design off the edges of your quilt. It will make your life easier.
- Add a strip of fabric 2.5″ tall by full width of quilt (inc sashing) to the top of the quilt to allow you to run off your quilt desing at the top of the quilt. Ensure that the edge is straight so it loads straight.
- Add a piece of fabric to the bottom of the quilt approx 12″ tall by full width of quilt inc sashing) to allow you to test the machine during set up and practice any quilting techniques. If this is not your first hire this area could be smaller as we will have discussed on your first visit. Ensure that the edge is straight so that it loads straight.
- Backing and wadding need to be as large as your quilt after all additions.
- Max width of quilt inc any extra strips is 85″.
- Mark the middle of the top and bottom of your quilt top, wadding and backing fabric.
We now provide 1-2-1 support with every hire. We can help you get set up swiftly and accurately so you can enjoy the quilting. You will be shown how to set everything up and do your own simple trouble shooting. We’ll then share with you top tips on mastering various freemotion quilting styles tailored to your preferences.
We can supply wadding. We carry Warm and Natural wadding, 90″ wide and charge £12 per metre. PLEASE ENSURE YOU CONTACT US BEFOREHAND SO WE CAN HAVE IT READY ON THE DAY.
Warm & Natural is the preferred batting among quilters and crafters world-wide. Only the highest grade, 100% natural cotton fibres grown in the USA are needle punched through a strong, very thin poly-propylene scrim, securing the fibre together without glue. Beginner friendly to help finish projects quickly. Quilting or ties can be up to 10” apart without the worry of bunching or separation when washing. Versatile – use in wall hangings, placemats stockings, totes, quilted clothing and as an exterior fabric for crafting soft sculpture rabbits, snowmen and more!
Washing Instructions – Manufacturer says: 30 degree machine wash.
Book a quilting session
Book your session
It’s quick and easy to check availability using the booking option below. Just click the date showing to see all available options. Slots are released approx 2 months in advance.
Sessions start at either 9:30am to 1:30pm and you will need to know the final width of your quilt including the extra sashing.
All sessions come with our support to help you load your quilt and set up the machine so you can have fun on the quilting.
This video shows the full training that you will receive 1-2-1. It may help give you an insight into the simplicty of the system. After your first hire this is a reference point for subsequent hires in case you should forget anything. But don’t forget you get a full handout too.